Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Disturbing E-mail Reaffirms our Business Mission

Last week I received an e-mail (anonymous) from an individual who suggested that one of our speakers is making false claims and that we should immediately cease to represent her. As President, I was pretty concerned. Of course it is against our Code of Ethics to have a speaker misrepresent herself!
This individual initially 'laid into' the existence of women's organizations, suggesting that they run men down. The same individual also suggested that he/she would be forwarding documents to 'prove their claim' about this speaker.
I of course responded, as I should. I spent some time dealing with the first issue (i.e. women banding together and 'running men down'). I stated our reasoning on presenting a women's bureau, and stated that we do not exist to discredit men in any form; clients should choose the best speaker/expert for their function! And then I stated our policy on how we will act or not act based on e-mails of this nature.
At the end of the day, I told this individual that I would not accept any documentation as we are not legally able to authenticate such material. I did alert the relevant speaker. Her response was as I expected. And as I expected also, there is more to this story. I will not get into it here out of respect to all parties. Of course we take what we do seriously and will act on any definite information that is provided to us.
BUT - to get to the real point here - this experience reminded me of why we are here and of the seriousness of what we are offering...We are representing women's voices from all industries and sectors. Women who are not only shaping the world through what they do, but also by the challenges they face in their lives WHILE they are shaping the world.
We are fortunate to be working with many inspirational people. We are fortunate to connect these people with audiences that are hungry to be motivated and to learn.
Because of the number of powerful women we represent, e-mails like this will continue to come our way most assuredly. We will continue to act with the greatest discretion, honesty and adherence to our policies. We will protect our speakers' rights to share their inspiration with the world as long as we know it is the right thing to do.
We wouldn't be 'outstanding' if we didn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home