Friday, June 02, 2006

Fewer Women at the Top - Should We Be Insulted?

My partner Susan just gave me the most recent issue of Canadian Business to look at. And on the front cover it reads, "Ultimate Power List - the Big 50". This list reviews the most powerful CEO's in Canada.

And when I scan the list of names, I see that all are men's names, from Bill to Mike to Gordon to Andre. Not one woman's name. And this statistic would be quite similar in the United States.

Am I worried about this or insulted in some manner? Should women everywhere feel that they are not making 'progress' after decades of hard work? Or that there is still an impenetrable glass ceiling?

I would like to suggest "absolutely not". I think that women should worry if there were an equal number of females vying for this power as there are men. Then certainly we need to review why women aren't getting those opportunities.

But let's consider a couple of important facts:

1. Someone needs to raise the children!

Do I sound 'backwater' to you? I really hope not. As you can see, I am running an all-women's bureau dedicated to bringing the most talented and powerful female voices to the foreground. No, I'm not backwater. I am simply reasonable (well, I like to think I'm reasonable. My partner may disagree!). In order for us to remain an economically viable continent, flush with innovation, we need to create well rounded people. And in order to do that, SOMEONE needs to perform this oh so important job called Motherhood. And I personally am not sure how two parents - both powerful in their respective fields - can give the attention necessary to raise a caring, intelligent, contributing human being. While these 50 men are CEO's running their empires, who do you think is raising their children? Perhaps boarding schools. But I know that Research in Motion, which appears in the Big 50 List, consists of powerhouses Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridus. And since these two business forces come from the city within which I reside, I am a bit familiar with their lives. From my knowledge, their wives are raising their children.

Women, do not be affronted by the fact that the Big 50 List is all male. To be a CEO, you need to work ridiculous hours and even when those hours end, you are still thinking business. This list does not offend me or worry me. It tells me that as a society, we still honour and respect the most difficult and necessary role of all - motherhood. And in those instances where women are CEO's AND have children...all the power to them! Somehow those women are doing their job and ensuring their children are raised well (either through a stay at home dad or a wonderful support network).

2. There IS power behind the throne

Women have a gift when it comes to people skills, multi tasking, innovation, etc. And these skill sets are most needed in roles that exist on the front lines of organizations. Therefore, while women may not be as prevalent in the uppermost 'ranks' of business, they most often constitute the infantry of business. They are making our businesses tick away. No war can be won with just a General. He needs his army. A measure of women's success in the business world should not be measured by her annual income only (Fortune, Forbes, Profit, etc. - take note!). I think that we need to look at the types of roles women are taking on and how those well executed roles are seriously contributing to the upward mobility of an organization.

I am not suggesting we should stop evaluating whether or not women are receiving fair opportunity. Of course not. But let's also read a bit further between the lines of lists like the Big 50.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home